Iyengar Yoga with Stephanie Foxman
What is Yoga?
Yoga is a practice of physical postures, breath work and philosophical concepts that calms the mind, tones the body, and nourishes the spirit. Yoga literally means union — the integration of mind, body and spirit for holistic wellness. Yoga is for everyone, no matter your age or body type. Iyengar yoga teachers are trained to provide an experience of yoga that is accessible and rewarding. The Care and Counseling Center of Georgia offers a safe space for exploring yoga.
Benefits of Yoga
- Alleviates stress, anxiety, body tension
- Offers friendly, noncompetitive environment
- Promotes strength, flexibility and balance
- Improves body awareness, neuromuscular coordination
- Helps regulate moods, emotions
- Improves concentration, attention; quiets mental chatter
- Enhances breathing, regulates energy
The Iyengar Method
- A safe progression of yoga postures
- Demonstration and teaching of postures to develop understanding and intelligent action
- Use of props, such as blankets, blocks, and straps to facilitate learning
- Relevance of yoga concepts to daily living
NOTE: if you have injuries or physical conditions, please consult with the teacher before class begins so that postures can be modified.
Tips for Practicing Yoga at CCCG
- We provide all necessary props. Feel free to bring your own mat, or you can use one of ours.
- We recommend that you wear clothing such as shorts, leggings and t-shirts that allow you to move easily and at the same time allow the teacher to observe your body alignment.
- Yoga is best practiced in bare feet for stability and body awareness.
- Avoid practicing yoga on a full stomach.
- Avoid wearing perfume or heavy jewelry.
Stephanie Foxman has been studying the Iyengar method of yoga for nine years and is a Certified Level II Iyengar Yoga Instructor. Stephanie finds yoga to be utterly absorbing for its capacity to enliven and integrate body, mind, and spirit. She delights in sharing this powerful practice with clients. As a mental health counselor and staff therapist at the Care and Counseling Center of Georgia, she is particularly interested in the benefits of yoga for toning the nervous system and helping to regulate energy, thoughts, and emotions. Stephanie continues to delve deeper into the eight limbs of yoga with the guidance of top instructors in Atlanta and the global Iyengar yoga community. You can contact Stephanie at 404-636-1457 ext. 421, or email@example.com.